Banks Power 67102 Derringer Tuner (GEN2) With iDash 1.8
Gale Banks Engineering is a recognized world leader in engine tuning. They have become that leader by consistent innovation, testing, and improvement. Now you can take advantage of their performance tuning experience and innovation with the all new Derringer Tuner for the 2020 L5P Duramax! The Derringer is a plug-and-play microcomputer designed for easy installation. It’s waterproof for convenient under hood mounting, and connects to the iDash 1.8 Super Gauge for the ultimate in information and power selection, unlocking three additional power levels. Unlike the fixed tuning used by other manufacturers, the Derringer calibration is continuously adjusting to provide you the peak possible performance under every driving condition. By utilizing the power of the OBD-II data, the tuner intelligently fine-tunes its calibration on the fly without you having to change its power level.
Derringer has six switched settings. Level 6 produces Best in Class performance and knocks you back in your seat. The Level 3 setting is for work use and has great mid-range feel. When running Level 3 with a loaded work truck and/or pulling a trailer, your on ramp merging speeds and passing times are greatly improved.
- Simple Plug and Play Installation with Easy Removal for Dealer Service
- Warranty Friendly: No Reflash Required and No Traces Left in ECU
- Interfaces with OBDII Port (On-Board Diagnostics/Information) to communicate directly with the vehicle ECU
- Extensively Tested & Validated
- 6 Power Levels with On-The-Fly Changing via Included iDash
- LED Derringer Status Indicator
- Adds up to 81 hp and 144 lb-ft!
- Works with Stock Exhaust System – No DPF Deletion Needed
- Works While in Cruise Control
- ActiveSafety Protects Engine/Powertrain
- Note: Does Not Support Emissions Deletes
Additional Features with iDash 1.8
- Optimized Derringer layout to view vital data
- Regen status displayed over power level when Regen is active
- Power added bar graph shows Derringer power being added
- On-screen Derringer Status Indicator
- Datalog up to 100 Derringer, engine or transmission parameters through microSD card
- Corrects MAP and FRP parameter to accurate readings
- Update Derringer software and calibration through iDash 1.8 using microSD card
- Expand system with other Banks Bus products
Banks AutoRate Adaptive Tuning
Unlike the fixed tuning used by other brands, the Derringer calibration is continuously adjusting to provide you the peak possible performance under every driving condition. By utilizing the power of the OBD-II data, the tuner intelligently fine-tunes its calibration on the fly without you having to change its power level.
- Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) – The Derringer senses your engine’s EGT and intelligently modulates fueling to maintain a safe maximum EGT, protecting your turbo and engine.
- Altitude compensation – The Derringer senses ambient air pressure, controlling the turbocharger to maintain added boost and power as altitude increases.
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regen – The Derringer tuner constantly monitors your DPF regen status and will optimize its calibration to ensure the regen process completes successfully.
- Accelerator Pedal Monitoring – The Derringer senses accelerator pedal position to roll in additional power progressively, optimizing part-throttle fuel economy and giving max power when you ask for it.
- Coolant Temperature Monitoring – The Derringer senses coolant temp to control added power. During warmup, no power is added below 120° F, then power is ramped in and fully available above 150° If the coolant overheats for any reason, the Derringer starts removing its power at 230° F and additional power is totally removed if you exceed 240° F.
- Full Power Timer – If set on Sport level, the Derringer allows for 30 seconds of wide open throttle before transitioning to the recommended power level for sustained tow/haul. (Our research has shown that the stock L5P when at full power will hit 1450° EGT and after a minute or so will pull out fuel to cool things down. So, we do the same thing.)
Banks TransCommand Active Transmission Safety System
In addition to AutoRate Adaptive Tuning, the Derringer utilizes key engine and transmission parameters to enhance shift performance and improve the longevity of your transmission. Because the competitors lack the essential OBD-II data, they always add power at wide open throttle—no matter what! This can cause excessive transmission slip, torque converter clutch slip and even 170 HP engine derates in order for the transmission to complete the shift. This harms the overall performance and degrades your transmission. The Derringer is meticulously calibrated and extensively tested to properly modulate power during shifting, optimizing performance and safety.
- Intelligent Shift Tuning – The transmission shift request signal is monitored to optimize the power level prior to the shift protecting the transmission, increasing shift speed and avoiding ECU power derates.
- Boost and Fuel by Gear – Gear based calibration allows for optimum traction and performance
- Torque Converter Clutch Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts to modulate TCC slip to safe levels.
- Transmission Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts calibration to modulate transmission slip to safe levels
The Derringer is the only tuner on the market to include ‘Active Safety’, an active failsafe system that utilizes bypass relays to smoothly transition your vehicle to stock power levels in the event of any trouble signs in the Derringer. The system constantly monitors various parameters at over 50 times a second to ensure that everything is operating as it should. If any competitive tuners lose power or fail in any way, they will instantly trigger a “limp home” mode where all power is lost and the vehicle dangerously slows to a crawl. If the same fault condition occurs to the Derringer it will gracefully remove its additional power and return to stock power levels without a hitch.
- Internal self-diagnostics checks health of the system 50 times per second
- Monitors MAP and FRP signals for out of range condition (disconnected or short circuit)
- Watchdog timer constantly monitors CPU activity
- Active safety engages if 12-volt power is lost to the Derringer tuner